Engaging children during the coronavirus isolation has taken on creative measures with an art teacher spreading love through hearts. York Daily Record
Residents of York and Lancaster counties are to stay at home effective at 8 p.m. Friday, Gov. Tom Wolf said Friday afternoon.
This order will remain in place until April 6.
York, which is Wolf’s home county, and Lancaster were among nine added Friday to the list of stay-at-home counties. The other newly added counties are Berks, Butler, Lackawanna, Luzerne, Pike, Wayne and Westmoreland. That brings the total number of counties under the order to 19.
The order means people are required to stay at home as much as possible, leaving only for essential reasons.
“There is no doubt that these are difficult times for us all, and a stay-at-home order is a drastic step,” Rep. Keith Gillespie, R-Hellam Township, said in a statement Friday. “However, it is a step that must be taken. The most important thing for us now is to do all we can to limit the spread of coronavirus and flatten the curve.”
Tracking coronavirus: An interactive map of active cases
What activities are allowed under a stay-at-home order?
- Tasks essential to maintaining health and safety (obtaining medicine or medical supplies, visiting a healthcare professional)
- Getting necessary services or supplies for themselves or their family or household members, or to deliver those supplies to others.
- Engaging in outdoor activities.
- Perform essential duties at a life-sustaining business.
- Care for a family member or pet in another household.
What kinds of travel are allowed under a stay-at-home order?
- Any travel related to the above provisions.
- Travel to care for elderly, minors, dependents, persons with disabilities or other vulnerable persons.
- Travel to and from educational institutions to get materials for distance learning, receiving meals or related services.
- Travel to return to a place of residence outside this jurisdiction.
- Travel required by law enforcement or court order.
Individuals experiencing homelessness are not subject to this order, but are strongly urged to find shelter and government agencies are urged to take steps needed to provide shelter for those individuals.
This could change the face of comics’: Is coronavirus comic book shops’ biggest villain?
Frequently asked questions
Are people going to be cited for leaving their homes? No, they will not be cited, and people are not required to carry written authorization to travel for the purposes allowed under the order.
How will this order be enforced? Law enforcement will be focused on making sure that people are aware of the order and informing the public of social distancing practices.
Where should we call if we see a noncompliant business? Contact your local law enforcement agency through their nonemergency number. Please do not call 911 or the Department of Community of Economic Development to file reports.
This is a developing story. Check back for updates.
Shelly Stallsmith is a trends reporter for the York Daily Record. She can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org or followed on Twitter at @ShelStallsmith.
Read or Share this story: https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2020/03/27/coronavirus-pa-york-lancaster-other-counties-issued-stay-home-order/2927227001/