People stock up at the state-owned liquor stores before a state-ordered closure to slow the spread of the coronavirus. York Daily Record
There was a combination of excitement and frustration when Pennsylvania said its Fine Wine & Good Spirits stores would take online orders again starting April 1.
The excitement — people could buy up to six bottles from a catalog of about 1,000 wines and spirits.
The frustration — the website was “randomized” for a number of reasons, which means the online store is not always accessible throughout the day.
The Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board announced final sales at the physical stores at the close of business on March 17.
“While we are not considering reopening Fine Wine & Good Spirits stores at this time, we continue to monitor the situation in consultation with the Wolf Administration and public health officials,” Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board Press Secretary Shawn Kelly said.
Between April 1 and April 6, Fine Wine and Good Spirits processed 5,972 orders, sold nearly 30,000 bottles, and garnered over $500,000.
But, what were people buying the most? Here’s a breakdown of the top 10 best selling items from overall Fine Wine and Good Spirits sales between April 1 and April 5:
- Tito’s Handmade Vodka 80 Proof—1,030 bottles
- Smirnoff Vodka 80 Proof—401 bottles
- Jack Daniel’s Old No 7 Black Label Tennessee Whiskey 80 Proof—380 bottles
- Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum 70 Proof—339 bottles
- Platinum 7X Vodka 80 Proof—263 bottles
- Absolut Vodka 80 Proof—260 bottles
- Jim Beam Straight Bourbon 80 Proof—237 bottles
- Captain Morgan Original Spiced Rum PET 70 Proof—220 bottles
- Jameson Irish Whiskey 80 Proof—213 bottles
- Fireball Cinnamon Whisky 66 Proof—211 bottles
Jasmine Vaughn-Hall is a trends reporter in central Pennsylvania. She’s dishing out most-talked about topics, features, and taco fandom. Contact her at email@example.com, 717-495-1789 and follow her on Twitter @jvaughn411.
Deserts are for cacti, not local news, so consider signing up for a subscription.
Read or Share this story: https://www.ydr.com/story/news/2020/04/07/fine-wine-and-good-spirits-in-pa-online-sales-liquors-people-bought-most-since-april-1/2961181001/