Here are some of the top stories we’re following for Wednesday, June 3, 2020. Wochit
It’s very possible that Dover International Speedway will be taking its cue from baseball for its race weekend from Aug. 21-23.
As in, a doubleheader for its Cup Series race to make up for the race postponed May 3 due to the coronavirus pandemic.
NASCAR hasn’t officially announced the schedule for that portion of the season, but Dover Motorsports president and CEO Denis McGlynn said he’s optimistic.
MOVING TO NASHVILLE: Dover International Speedway giving up one of its two NASCAR race weekends in 2021
“For the purposes of our planning, without anything being official, we’re preparing for a doubleheader,” McGlynn told Delaware Online/The News Journal on Wednesday.
McGlynn speculated that the May 3 race would be held Saturday, Aug. 22, followed by the Drydene 400 the next day. The track would also host the XFinity Series race, a Gander RV & Outdoors Truck Series race and an ARCA Menards Series race over the course of the weekend.
“There could be a lot of racing going on that weekend,” McGlynn said.
JEFFREY LURIE SPEAKS: Eagles owner breaks silence on George Floyd killing: ‘I am heartbroken and repulsed’
But will anyone be there to witness it?
The state of Delaware just transitioned into Phase 1 of its reopening plan. That allows for outdoor gatherings of no more than 250 people. The state is expected to move into Phase 2 on June 15.
The number of people allowed at outdoor gatherings is not known for that phase or any subsequent phases.
Dover International Speedway has a capacity for 54,000 fans.
SPECIAL DELIVERY: Parents of fallen Howard football player receive son’s championship ring
“Again, we’re being cautiously optimistic about it,” McGlynn said. “We’re planning to have fans because we want to be prepared for our biggest challenge of making sure everyone is able to stay safe.
“But I’m guessing if there are fans, it’ll be a limited capacity.”
NASCAR returned to racing May 17 after a two-month shutdown due to the coronavirus. So far, fans have not been allowed at any of the races, although that could change as soon as June 14 race in Miami.
But that won’t be the case everywhere as it’ll depend on the rules in individual states.
The doubleheader format will be tried for the first time at Pocono Raceway the weekend of June 26-28. It has already been determined that fans won’t be allowed at the track.
Contact Martin Frank at email@example.com. Follow on Twitter @Mfranknfl.